[Wikipedia-l] RE: [Wikitech-l] I never metadata I didn't like

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 16:59:09 UTC 2003

The Cunctator wrote:

>>From: Magnus Manske
>>
>>The Cunctator wrote:
>>

>>>Please, please do not turn on this feature. Human-inserted metadata
>>>

>is
>

>>>basically unwiki. There are better approaches to dealing with the
>>>problem of categorization/computer comprehension of data. The right
>>>approaches act like magic.

I disagree strongly. Note that inter-language links and in-article links
are already human-generated metadata, and work just fine.

Let's turn on this feature ASAP, and get people to mark articles up, so
we can then experiment with ways of processing the category links.  Wiki
is data-driven: we can bootstrap the system by simply showing the list
of category links in an article in a similar way to the list of
interlanguge links.

I don't believe that adding the [[category:xxx]] feature will generate a
single ontology: rather, there will be a forest of possible ontologies,
creating a rich wiki-like mulch of human-relevant meaning that can then
be processed by computers.

All we need for the moment is agreement that

1.  [[category:xxx]] links should be permitted in articles
2.  how to display them (if at all) in the current article rendering

-- Neil