[Wikipedia-l] governance

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Dec 3 19:22:42 UTC 2003

Alex R. wrote:

>From: "Ray Saintonge" <saintonge at telus.net>
>
>>The last thing that the mediator needs when he is trying to resolve a
>>delicate question is to have a hamhanded newcomer to the war throwing
>>flames when the matter is none of his business.  That can drive away one
>>combatant, and harden the other in his position.
>>

>Here I would say that this is suggesting that the mediator should not be the
>person or body representing Wikipedia's interests directly (of course the
>mediator is trying to help Wikipedia's interests by dealing with a problem
>user, but the role is to listen to the problem user and the complaints, not
>to side with those making complaints).
>
>Another point is that mediation can sometimes occur without the intervention
>of a mediator per se. In court yesterday I was the mediator between
>my client ( a corporation) and the other side. True, I am not completely
>impartial, but I am trying to resolve the issues between the two sides,
>and convince both my client to settle and the other side (who was not
>represented) to settle by getting them both to see the limitations of their
>respective claims.  It happens in the hallways of the courhouse without
>anyone listening and with no record but it one of the most important
>things I do in the resolution of disputes because it produces results on
>many occasions sort of like the idea of a [[User:User Advocate]].

I basically agree.  The mediator would really be representing
Wikipedia's meta-interest of maintaining peace in the family and a
general atmosphere of NPOV.  Most often it would not be in Wikipedia's
interest to take sides in the substance of the dispute.

I want to avoid any misunderstanding that I may have been criticising
the mediator.  Using your reference of a hallway settlement, suppose
that a complete stranger, unknown to either party, walks by.  He
overhears a bit of the conversation, and decides that he has a solution
for you that he then proceeds to elaborate.  This can come at an
inopportune time, and can at times completely derail the settlement.
 This would be very bad manners in the hallways of the courthous, but
it's a lesson in manners which, regretably, many Wikipedians find
difficult to learn.

Ec