[Wikipedia-l] FDL used to stifle distribution of articles

Andre Engels engels at uni-koblenz.de
Mon Dec 1 10:08:44 UTC 2003

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Ulrich Fuchs wrote:

> Am Samstag, 29. November 2003 21:10 schrieb Erik Moeller:
> > A user of the German Wikipedia, Ulrich Fuchs, has threatened to take legal
> > action against any third party who makes commercial use of their material
> > without following a very narrow interpretation of the FDL "five author"
> > requirement, which reads as follows:
> [snip]
>
> Just to put that "threat" in context: There currently is a website
> flexicon.doccheck.com (currently down, I don't know why) in Germany using
> Wikipedia material (either by copying it in the first place by the site
> maintainers or by uploading by Wikipedians), which does not comply to the
> licence (e.g. it does not list authors, it does not even mention Wikipedia).

[snip]

Reading what your problems with the site are, my impression is, "So then why
is it not THAT that you are going after?" That is, why don't you threaten to
sue over going against the spirit of the GNU/FDL by having their copyright
notice prominent, but the GNU/FDL notice hidden if at all?

Andre Engels