[Wikipedia-l] RE: [Wikitech-l] Sysop ability to ban logged in users; Undelete bug fixed

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Sun Aug 31 17:44:23 UTC 2003

> From: Tim Starling
> I did a quick hack which allows sysops to ban logged-in users. This
was
> discussed on wikien-l long, long ago, and was widely agreed to be a
good
> idea (well, not that widely, but Jimbo was particularly keen).
Basically
> you
> just type the username into the ban IP box. I changed a few messages
> indicate that you could do it.

I assume that sysops can be banned through this interface as well. The
hack sounds pretty ugly. Banning by username should be done by banning
through the login (i.e. the cookies) not by checking IP.

Have these changes been checked in?

This is not something that should go live without discussion on the main
mailing list.

-tc