[Wikipedia-l] Foreign language articles

Vicki Rosenzweig vr at redbird.org
Fri Aug 29 03:14:10 UTC 2003

At 10:55 PM 8/28/03 -0400, Merritt Perkins wrote:
>. There are many things about Wikipedia that I do not know about because
>I don't know how to find out or where to look. Richard Gtreves has told
>how to find out about
>Wikipedias in different languages. I was surprised that so much has been
>written in languages other than English.

Information about the variety of languages Wikipedia is in, and much else
of interest to new users, can be found on the main page.

>. There are many expressions and abbreviation that I do not understand
>and don't know where to find an explanation of them.
>. Why should speakers of English be interested in encyclopedias in other
>languages?

Why do you assume that these encyclopedias are intended for speakers of
English? They are meant for speakers/readers of those languages, just as
the English wikipedia is intended primarily for English-speakers, not speakers
of Arabic or French.

--
Vicki Rosenzweig
vr at redbird.org