[Wikipedia-l] First logo voting stage

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Aug 28 18:03:30 UTC 2003

tarquin wrote:

> Erik Moeller wrote:
>
>> The first voting stage for the new Wikipedia logo has begun:
>>
>> http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_logo_vote
>>
>> has begun. Please add your signature under up to 10 logos. The 10
>> logos  with the highest number of votes will then enter the final
>> voting stage.  The deadline for the first stage is September 5, 20:00
>> UTC.
>>
>> With over 130 logos and many variants we have lots of excellent
>> candidates  to choose from. Thanks to everyone who contributed!
>>
> please could you enforce a byte limit for the images displayed on the
> list pages.
> Some are STUPIDLY large, eg that one featuring some sort of rodent
> which I removed.
>
> with a modem it takes about 5 minutes for them all to load.
> people should upload a smaller version ( < 30 k ?) or be disqualified

I don't know if removing them is the right course of action, or if the
size limit should be imposed on the contributor.  Postage stamp
designers do not do their work on a postage stamp sized canvas.

Having the original work in a large file is preferable because it can be
scaled down.  In scaling up a small file we will not be able to provide
missing detail.  Trimming a contribution to 30k should be done by
software.  If a scaled down logo loses too much information, we probably
shouldn't adopt it.

Ec