[Wikipedia-l] Re: mangle addresses (Re: Re: PayPal is set up)

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 26 00:29:34 UTC 2003

"Walter Vermeir" <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote in
message news:bie2fj$qs5$1 at sea.gmane.org...

> If there is support for it I can ask gmane to swith it off. But this is
not
> a good idea i find.
>
> The email adress is not realy mangled but "encrypted". If you send a email
> to  a @public.gmane.org email adress you recieve a auto-responds that you
> have to confirm befor it is forward to the real adress.
>
> It is a very good anti-spam function and you still can send a email to
> person. It is one the reasons i like the gmane acces to much, your email
> adress is save from spammers.

The entire list is archived on the web with email addresses unencrypted, at
mail.wikipedia.org. It's even indexed in Google. The only thing the
encryption does is annoy people. I say turn it off.

The encryption of "from" addresses should stay on, because they're also
hidden in the archive. Just the encryption in the email body should be
turned off.

-- Tim Starling <tstarlingphysicsunimelbeduau>