[Wikipedia-l] Re: Relaying donations

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Aug 25 17:49:03 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Gustav Foseid wrote:
>
>>Have you tried to ask Wikimedias current bank "We need a German or
>>French bank account, can you help us?"
>>
>No, I haven't.  But I will, that's a good idea.  SunTrust is not an
>international bank, though, it's just a Florida bank.

Many banks (but especially the big ones) maintain correspondence
arrangements with key foreign banks.  By working through your bank you
can be relatively more sure that they will have compatible paperwork
processes. US banks tend to almost :-)  understand things when the
banking relationship is initiated from within the US.

At one time it was even a problem doing banking between two US states
because many of the banks were under state rather than federal control.
 The S&L collapse changed a lot of that when it forced some of the bit
players out of the market.

Ec