[Wikipedia-l] Centralization of documentation on meta (was Re: PayPal is set up)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 24 23:22:05 UTC 2003

Fantasy wrote:
>Can we already put this Informations on
>http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Donations
>or do you prefer to have wikimedia.org up first and only there the
>instructions?

There should be one place for all this and IMO it should be developed on meta
(which in turn should be moved to the wikimedia.org domain). There is little
reason to replicate the same English language meta text between Wikipedia,
Wiktionay, Wikiquote and Wikibooks. As a matter of fact, I've found that
there is a great deal of documentation especially about MediaWiki that could
be centrally organized and maintained; meta is a good place to do this.

Of course this isn't much of a pressing issue for the non-English language
versions of Wikipedia since Wikiquote, Wiktionary and Wikibooks are only in
English so far. So it still makes sense to have their decimation on their own
wikis but longer term all common Wikimedia and MediaWiki documention should
be on meta.

Heck, it might also be neat to develop /all/ wikimediafounation.org pages on
meta and then have those displayed as regular webpages to anybody who visits
wikimediafoundation.org.

Just some ideas.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)