[Wikipedia-l] Re: PayPal is set up

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 24 22:40:59 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:
>I will be adding donation -at- wikipediafoundation.org
>as soon as I have access to that, probably later today
>(thanks, mav!).

You are welcome. But there is no such thing as the Wikipedia Foundation and
thus that is not one of the domain names that I purchased for the foundation.
But you should now have all the user names and passwords of the
wikimediafounation.org/.com.

Since there is some confusion and common misuse of Wikimedia vs Wikipedia, it
may be a good idea for you to purchase wikipediafoundation.org/.com and
forward those domain names to wikimediafoundation.org/.com. The less than 20
US$  a year it will cost to hold these two domain names would probably be
easily recouped by donations from people who naively typed
"wikipediafoundation.org" instead of "wikimediafoundation.org". However, at
the same time we shouldn't go crazy with snagging up and accepting domain
names; the cost to maintain these do add up.

I would purchase them for the Foundation myself but as of Aug 31 the CA state
contract I've been working under is defended due to a historic state budget
crisis.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)