[Wikipedia-l] Encyclopedia article

Merritt L. Perkins mlperkins3 at juno.com
Wed Aug 20 23:27:14 UTC 2003

Let us get started writing an article for the Encyclopedia. We will write
about what we remember, what we observed, what other people have told us,
and what we have read.
If we are going to write by dictating using a voice to text program we
will need to train the program for any new words.
We will write about ANEMIA. In anemia the blood is not able to carry
enough oxygen to the body. This may result in fatigue, weakness, and
lightheadedness.
The red blood cells that carry oxygen to the body are produced in the
bone marrow.
Three types of anemia are: iron deficiency anemia, vitamin B12 deficiency
anemia (pernicious anemia), and folic acid deficiency anemia.
The average diet contains about 10 to 12 mg of iron per day of which 1 to
2 mg are absorbed.
Traces of cobalt are present in the soil in most parts of the world. When
ruminant animals such as cattle and sheep eat grass it goes to the first
stomach where fermentation takes place which produces the vitamin B12 and
large amounts of methane. Then it is regurgitated and chewed and
swallowed and the vitamin B12 goes into the meat.
Vitamin B12 in the diet combines with an intrinsic factor produced by
glands in the stomach and when it reaches the ileum of the small
intestine it can be absorbed into the bloodstream. The liver can store a
five-year supply vitamin B12 so failure to absorb it from food may not be
noticed for several years. The body may use six micrograms of vitamin B12
per day.
Vitamin B12 deficiency can be detected by blood tests. A needle may be
inserted in a vein in the arm and two samples may be taken. They are
analyzed by an automatic machine which prints out the results.
Vitamin B12 deficiency is treated by injecting 1 ml (1000 mcg) of vitamin
B12 (cyanocobalamin) into the muscle, first at weekly intervals and then
at monthly intervals for life.
Folic acid is contained in green leafy vegetables , and is destroyed by
cooking. The body stores only a small amount of folic acid in the liver.
The body may use 400 micrograms of folic acid per day.
Folic acid deficiency and vitamin B12 deficiency result in large red
blood cells that can not carry enough oxygen.
Now we have something to work with. Will it encourage the reader to
consult a doctor or will he try to diagnose and treat himself? Is the
information accurate? Would it help to have pictures of normal and
abnormal blood cells? Is it better to have separate articles or have
several subjects under the same heading? Are there terms that need to be
explained? Are there other articles on the same subject?
Merritt L. Perkins