[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia on a cheap computer (was Re: Wikipedia v. Britannica)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Aug 20 18:17:18 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Arvind Narayanan wrote:
>
>>I have a related suggestion: how about trying to get a regular
>>linux distro to bundle wikipedia 1.0? It would be particularly
>>attractive in third world counties. Also this requires no extra
>>work like getting it to render properly on Dillo etc.
>>
>This is a great idea, and almost certain to be implemented by them,
>without much effort on our part.
>
>Well, except for the herculean effort of making 1.0 in the first
>place, of course. ;-)

As much as I support the principles behind this initiative, I sometimes
wonder about the extent to which we are underestimating the
difficulties, and overestimating the infrastructural capacities of these
places.  For us first generation software seems to be from the stone
age; they're trying to figure out how to make it work on a hand-cranked
Victrola.

Ec