[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia on a cheap computer (was Re: Wikipedia v. Britannica)

Brion Vibber vibber at aludra.usc.edu
Tue Aug 19 19:53:34 UTC 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca wrote:
> Erik Moeller wrote:
> > With some crack Linux hackers we should be able to
> > whip up something that runs on a 486 (using a miniature Linux distro
> > for  embedded devices and a very lean webbrowser like Dillo).
>
> Now that would be something I'd like to see. If we ever seriously
> got behind such a project, I think the guys working on dillo would
> actively support us. The goals of the dillo project are completely in
> line with this sort of work.

I just gave Dillo a quick try -- I'm quite impressed that it does as much
as it does in 343,840 bytes (on my mac!) but it doesn't seem to support
Unicode yet. That'll need to get fixed. Hopefully I can convince someone
else to do it so I don't get sucked into another project. :)

But yeah, that could make a cool "bootable Wikipedia"... ;)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)