[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia v. Britannica

sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Aug 19 18:10:02 UTC 2003

Daniel Mayer wrote:

> Hm. Is there a machine readable list of all 75,000 of Britannica's
> articles somewhere? If we had such a list then we could perform this
> analysis; cross-check all article titles in en.Wikipedia with
> Britannica articles.

I don't think a direct comparison of titles would work very well.
Britannica's articles are what I would call monolithic, while
Wikipedia's are modular. For example, Britannica's article on a
given country is usually comprehensive abd spans 30+ pages,
though there is often a separate article for the country's history.
The Wikipedia article on the same country is really an entry point
to all the various articles we have on that country; it serves as a
quick overview with links to separate, more detailed articles.

Basically, I don't know if the different naming conventions and
fudamentally different information organizational methods of the two
encyclopedias would allow for a useful comparision of article titles.

Stephen G.