[Wikipedia-l] Images [was: Wikipedia v. Britannica]

Tomasz Wegrzanowski taw at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 19 02:52:03 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 03:42:13AM +0200, Björn Lindqvist wrote:
> 2. I want pictures! WP is SERIOUSLY lacking in the graphics department.
> Like http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle doesn't even have a picture of
> a circle! My utopian wish is for every article to have a nice picture of
> the article's topic on it. If I want to read about
> http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilcox%2C_Nebraska then I probably want to
> see a photo of it too. Unfortunately there aren't many good FDL
> photographs out there.

That's a problem we're having since the beginning.
Adding image upload and math mode helped a lot, but ...

	= 1 =

See http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maps for one thing that
I'm currently working on that could improve situation a lot.

	= 2 =

We could add more TeX-diagraming abilities similar to math mode.

The problem is that most of them would have rather limited usage.
For example Wikipedia won't need more than a few dozens of go diagrams
in close future, and that many can just be made offline.

The only TeX modes that I've seen that are general enough to be worth
implementing on server side of Wikipedia (xypic) seemed extremely hard to use.

But we still need some modules for chemical formulas and "general" diagrams.
If anybody knowns a TeX module that's both general enough and reasonably
easy to use, please write about it.