[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia v. Britannica

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 20:34:26 UTC 2003

Jimbo wrote:
>"Wiki is not paper, but Wikipedia 1.0 is paper".
>The goal of a push towards 1.0 is specifically to
>produce a version that's purposefully edited and
>limited in some minor ways.

Whoa! Waitaminute. Does that mean that all the element articles I've written
have to be cut down in size? Most are two to five times longer than any
Encarta, Britannica or Comptoms article on the same elements.

>The process should unite and energize the existing
>Wikipedia community, not compete with it.  Example:
>this should not happen on a different website by new
>volunteers, but by us, we've earned it.

If that is the case then can we finally accept a bit of reality and admit that
Nupedia is a dead project that has been superceded by Wikipedia? We can then
focus on picking the carcass of Nupedia clean and forward that domain name to
Wikipedia. I tried to express an idea about how to revive Nupedia by making
it a stable distribution of Wikipedia, but there was little support for it
(and in fact some initial hostility). IMO, that was Nupedia's only hope.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)