[Wikipedia-l] New statistics and Wikimedia's first press release

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 00:27:40 UTC 2003

If this is going to be updated each time the databases are backed up, then I
think it would be a great idea to add a link to
http://www.wikipedia.org/wikistats/EN/Sitemap.htm on each wiki's
Special:Statistics page (translations will be needed though). These stats are
awesome!

I've already added a link to this page on our next press release. Speaking of
which, we still need to set-up the Wikimedia Foundation website and the
paypal (or whatever) service to accept donations. Has anything been done
along these lines yet? I'm willing to help but I don't know where to start...

The stats are also very useful in that we can now estimate with some degree of
accuracy, a range of dates we might hit the 300,000 article milestone; in my
estimation that will happen somewhere between 35 to 50 days from Aug 14,
depending on how fast our growth rate increases (this assumes no significant
bot activity). So we still have time to set everything up (including the new
hardware Jimbo is buying; Thanks Jimbo!) if we start now.

Just another reminder: Swedish, Danish, and Dutch are specifically mentioned
and linked to in the press release but so far nobody has volunteered to
translate the press release into those languages. Please see:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia's_first_press_release#Translators_needed

Also, French, Polish, Swedish, and Danish are all mentioned and linked to in
the press release but so far nobody has volunteered to be the press contact
coordinators for those languages. Please see:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia's_first_press_release#Ambassadors_needed

Of course, the more languages the press release is translated into, and the
more languages that are represented by a press contact coordinator, the
better.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)