[Wikipedia-l] Re: maybe time for a document project, sometime in the near future?

sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca
Sun Aug 17 20:05:21 UTC 2003

Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> writes:
>>
> > Easily accessible links is the whole point of HTML and the web.
>
> No ;) I still believe contents is more important; all these links,
> esp. these navigation links are superfluous.  A good search engine is
> all you need -- frankly, navigations links are a waste of resources
> (time and bandwidth).  I admit, it nice to click around but going this
> way you usually will not find the info you are looking for.

I think you may be working on the wrong project, Karl. It sounds
like you're looking for Gopherpedia. ;-)

Seriously, one of the reasons wikis work so well is the ease of
linking and cross-referencing. Are you arguing that if a person is
reading the article on Mexico, and then wants to read about the
history of the country in more detail, he should have to do a search
to find our History of Mexico article?

However, I would love to see our searching capabilities improved.
That's not a complaint, dear developers, just a little wistful thinking.
:)

Stephen G.