[Wikipedia-l] Phase III name change to MediaWiki and separate press releases

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 21:37:05 UTC 2003

Erik wrote on wikitech-l:
>I intend to edit relevant documentation and webpages
>to change the name of the software from "Phase III" to
>"MediaWiki". This is the name that Mav suggested, and
>it fits nicely together with "Wikimedia". Google shows
>that the name is unused. Any objections?

Well, my vote is a foregone conclusion, but 'Make it so!' :)

Hm. Kat suggested that only one big item should be on each press release, so
maybe we can have a separate press release announcing the name change and
talking about the software itself? Release it a week after the previous press
release and direct it toward more techy-oriented news sites. We could also
have a separate press release announcing the grand opening of the Wikimedia
Foundation website and the start of our fundraising drive (since it doesn't
look like that will be set-up by the time we hit 300,000).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)