[Wikipedia-l] Template system

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 22:22:22 UTC 2003

Till Westermayer wrote:
>Keep wikipedia simple!

Ahem - Erik was talking about extending the template system he is working on
for use in /Wikibooks/ in order to create wiki books. I agree that such a
mechanism /should not/ be allowed in Wikipedia since having books within
Wikipedia is counter to the non-linear hyperlinked nature of the project.
Having things in a specified sequence /is/ the whole point of Wikibooks,
though. Again, we need a Wikimedia mailing list to discuss these things.

I would like to see how Erik's idea could be used to reuse modules. For
example, different instructors will want to organize our textbooks in
different ways - we should let them do that on Wikibooks without having to
fork modules - only TOC's should be forked as a general rule (we should
maintain one reference TOC edition though ; alternate TOC's can be part of
the instructor's user page).

>Of course a template mechanism could be useful for
>many things -- but it also moves Wikipedias markup
>language further in the direction of a programming
>language, i.e. something most non-techs see as
>complicated.

So,

is less complicated than;

|Country table
|Name => Germany
|Population => 83 million
|____

Sorry, but I don't buy your slippery slope argument.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)