[Wikipedia-l] 300,000 is a much better milestone (was: Preparing for 150,000 articles)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 09:21:32 UTC 2003

Andre Engels wrote:
>I disagree. I think it is strange to count the various
>languages together into one number. Some of these
>articles are translations of each other, others are
>different articles about the same subject.

We are talking about the progress of the project as a whole -our community
effort-, we /are not/ boasting about the relative merit of our encyclopedia
as a usable resource (using article count as a proxy). We need to make that
clear in the announcement. It takes a lot of work to create 300,000 articles
(including the ones that are translations). /That/ is what the milestone
statement is for.

Community.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)