[Wikipedia-l] Do you want the complete Wikipedia on your handheld? Read here how to do this.

Erik Zachte e.p.zachte at chello.nl
Sun Apr 6 18:59:05 UTC 2003

I have converted the whole English Wikipedia to a TomeRaider file.
The complete file is now available on my Pocket PC.

You will need a storage card for this: the file is roughly 100 Mb,
contains 145000+ entries (including redirects) and 200 Mb of
(compressed) text.
I chose to strip all meta info (discussions, user pages, etc).

TomeRaider (shareware) is a blindingly fast text retrieval system for
handhelds (Pocket PC, Palm*, and EPOC*) and MS Windows. Index lookup is
sub second. Rendering very large articles or complex html tables may
take a few seconds. Images are not supported. Hyperlinks are. Most html
tags as well.

I wrote a perl script to accomplish this. Unfortunately I do not have
the web space or bandwidth to offer the file for download from my site.

So either any user or the Wikipedia support team will have to redo the
conversion. Conversion to a TomeRaider input file is completely
automated. Conversion plus import in TomeRaider takes about 90 minutes
on my 500 MHz PC.

For screen shots and additional info about how to do this yourself:
http://members.ams.chello.nl/epzachte/Wikipedia

Erik Zachte

* Not tested. I only have a PPC.