[Wikipedia-l] ads on user pages

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Wed Sep 25 20:37:13 UTC 2002

> The user hfastedge has on his page an ad for some kind
> of service he's offering...

We do have a policy here that user pages don't have all
the same rules as encyclopedia pages, and we generally have
let people get away with just about anything, but I don't
think we've ever discussed ads in particular.  I don't
personally have much problem with it.  It's been understood
that user pages are kind of personal space and not subject
to Wikipedia policy except for copyright violations and
outright obscenity.  If a user wants to hype a business,
I don't think that's too out of line.