[Wikipedia-l] User pages

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Mon Nov 25 02:35:13 UTC 2002

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 02:22:36AM +0000, Oliver Pereira wrote:
>I gather that it the general agreement is that the User pages are for the
>users' own use, and that it is bad manners for other Wikipedians to edit
>them. Would it be sensible to formalise this as a definitive rule - in
>fact, to make the page protected from edits by anyone but the user and the
>sysops? Anyone who wishes to address the user would still be able to on
>the associated Talk page, of course.

Lir is a special case, in that he used his User page to antagonize and
piss off a lot of Wikipedians.  None of the recent edits in any way
attacked Lir personally; they just massaged the material to show how one
does things when one DOESN'T think the Wikipedia is just an information
dump, when one actually cares about what one is writing, and not just
the raw amount of information one dumps.

I have a feeling Lir was trying to get on that list of the top 250 most
prolific Wikipedians... Too bad for him it isn't dynamically generated.

>I don't know how difficult it would be to implement technically, but I
>think it would be a good move to prevent people from vandalising other
>people's User pages, as some are doing.

To call those edits "vandalism" is to use far too strong a word,
especially from an admitted newbie who isn't familiar with the full
history of Lir's actions here.

>And I repeat, if anyone has any problems with my behaviour, please tell me
>on my Talk page, or in a private e-mail.

The only problem so far is your poorly informed defense of Lir.  Apart
from that, it's good to have you on the Wikipedia.

Cheers!

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2