[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia subset proposal

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at epost.de
Mon Nov 4 15:18:15 UTC 2002

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>I have no opinion at the present time.  I am intending to revive
>Nupedia in the near future, in some fashion, and I am thinking very
>much along the lines of what is being discussed here.  Therefore, I
>think that Nupedia might be the right vehicle for this in the first
>place.

I would like to see Nupedia restart again, with less overhead this time.
I even wrote some software for that (http://nunupedia.sourceforge.net).
However, IMHO a separate (mispeled again?), pure "wikipedia
proofreading" project would be worth trying. It could grow quite fast,
as imports could be done within seconds. As edits would only be possible
on wikipedia, there would be positive feedback on wikipedia, while the
"stable" version would be growing fast, probably faster than wikipedia
did, to a certain point anyway.

*Then*, the "best of the best" articles could serve as a basis for
*some* Nupedia articles. Nupedia aims at yet another level of quality
and *responsibility* than even a peer-reviewed wikipedia would.

If you are not convinced, then ask yourself what we could lose with such
a project running parallel to Nupedia and Wikipedia. IMHO, nothing.
Writing new high-quality articles for Nupedia and pressing a button to
approve a wikipedia article are two entirely different things. I doubt
we'd distribute power to a point where none of the projects really
advances anymore.

Magnus