[Wikipedia-l] Max Weismann...does he deserve an article?

Manning Bartlett manning at bartlett.net
Tue May 28 11:59:48 UTC 2002

On the talk page for Max Weismann maveric wrote the following...

And what has this person done to warrent an encyclopedia article? There are A
LOT of presidents and directors of entities and a lot more editors -- why is
this one so special? --[[user:maveric149|maveric149]]

Now I'm not criticising Dan at all here, simply exploring the issues that this
comment raises.

It is a question that strikes at the very heart of the Wikipedia project... who
decides what deserves to be here and what doesn't? The article in question does
not contravene any of the Wikipedia rules, it does not advertise, it's not
offensive... it's just boring and trivial, and probably of no interest to
anyone except his close friends.

But IMHO, it deserves to be here. Mainly because choosing to get rid of it
solely on its lack of "significance" (as opposed to its violation of 'pedia
rules) would severely damage the project.

Unfortunately "boring and trivial" is what I would say about a lot of Wikipedia
content. So who decides? I think the ultimate standard is "If someone feels
that an article needs to be written, then it deserves to be here". I know we
have an entire series of articles on central mexican hip-hop bands, including
ones without recording contracts. They stayed for the very reason that someone
bothered to write about them.

To extend our authority into the realm of "deserves to be here or not" is to
open ourselves to a cabalism and disenchantment by the community. For example,
if I had "MY" way, all of the articles on all of the sub-characters of the
Simpsons would go, you'll never convince me they have any merit at all. Ditto
for the articles on the minor characters from Star Wars. However, I personally
regard the individual musicians who played with Frank Zappa on his various
tours to be far more interesting, and one day I might write about them. I
suspect some of you would disagree... etc etc etc.

So who will decide which of these articles "deserve to be here" ? To do so
means answering the question: "Are the Simpsons more important than Frank
Zappa?" How can you answer that question from a NPOV?

I am aware we have standards for articles such as advertising content, these
are fairly black and white. But discriminating on "significance" is much more
dangerous.

What criteria will be applied?
How do you (and who will) create the criteria?
How do you apply them without bias?
Is the winner of the Uzbekistani Fish-slapping championship "trivial"? Says who?

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Damn I can't wait to get out of India :) I hope they don't nuke Bombay as my
flight connection is through there, and it's so hard to change your flight to a
different city.

Cheers
Manning