[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Intlwiki-l] Review mechanism ? Stable pages ?

Brion L. VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Tue May 21 18:43:36 UTC 2002

On mar, 2002-05-21 at 11:19, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> One thing - I hereby officially propose ;) that option "only minor
> changes" should be available only for registered users.

That's been the case for a couple of months on the new software. (And
furthermore, show ALL edits is the default setting. You have to go out
of your way to hide minor edits, and I don't know why anyone would want
to anyway.)

If the other wikis get converted sometime, problem solved!

By the way, MOST OF THE INTERNATIONAL WIKIS ARE LOSING THEIR EDITING
HISTORIES BECAUSE THE OLD WIKI SOFTWARE DELETES OLD PAGE VERSIONS AFTER
A COUPLE OF WEEKS!!!!!!!!! I *hate* destructive default settings.

> All cases of vandalism on Polish wikipedia that weren't immediately
> fixed were in case where nobody have seen it because it wasn't being
> shown on 'Ostatnie Zmiany' (recent changes) page.
>
> Of course a vandal could bother to register, but most of them don't.
> So maybe this feature should be turned off completely.
> It's very dangerous.

Agreed, that's why we did it. :)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)