[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Intlwiki-l] Naming and branding for non-English Wikipedias

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Sat May 18 17:28:59 UTC 2002

Hi Brion!

> For page headers and titles and whatnot, should we:
>
> A) Always use the original English/Roman form "Wikipedia" even if it's
> uncomfortably foreign or difficult to type?
>
> B) Always use the familiar/nativized form if there is one, so that
users
> of each language can comfortably read and type it?
>
> C) Use "Wikipedia" for the big page header (that's brand recognition),
> but familiar/nativized form for the namespace (that's going to be used
> in the trenches and needs to be easy for users to type in links)?
>
> D) Other?
>
> Personally, I'm leaning towards C.

I think C makes sense. But that doesn't affect the German Wikipedia,
because fortunately nobody had the idea to call it "Wikipädie" which
sounds dull (Wikipädia would be an alternative).

One thing the nonprofit organisation could do is buy domains for the
international wikipedias, at least the active ones. It would be nicer to
promote.

Bye,
Kurt