[Wikipedia-l] Variable access...

Ian rsvr4cqdon001 at sneakemail.com
Sat May 18 16:48:01 UTC 2002

On Sat, 18 May 2002, Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX wrote:

> The wikipedia is working much better since the work was done on it. I
> seem to be able to do anything I want in the morning and afternoon
> without any problems. But in the evening it slows to a crawl and access
> becomes extremely sporadic leaning to impossible. Might that be the time
> when Google and other search engines set their automatic bots loose to
> trawl for new articles? Or maybe it's just due to general access
> demands.
>
> I've got a feeling it's related to timezones. I'm in Australia, on the
> opposite side of the world to most Wikipedia contributors...
>
> --
>
> Karen AKA Kajikit

General access demands. Certainly crawlers don't send all their bots at
the same time - bots are designed to not slow sites down as much as
possible.

It could be Wikipedia, or your ISP or something in between. When my aunt
lived in Spain she would coordinate her surfing time with low usages times
in the US.

Ian Monroe
http://ian.webhop.org