[Wikipedia-l] Spinoff project

Rosa Williams aprilrosanina at charter.net
Tue Mar 19 00:32:44 UTC 2002

As those of you who read the meta pages will know, I'm applying the Wiki idea to a slightly different project, with the object of creating a "science hypertextbook".  Like Wikipedia, this will all be under GNU Free Documentation License.

I note that the Wikipedians muster a good deal of technical expertise among themselves, and I'd like to invite anyone interested in a more teaching-oriented approach (i.e. building from basic subjects to advanced ones)  to participate.  It's at http://www.renaissoft.com/april/cgi-bin/wiki.pl for those who are interested.

Also, I'd like to ask something of an etiquette question - to Jimbo Wales in particular, and to the Wikipedians in general. How do people feel about Wikipedia material being ported over and adapted for use in the textbook project?  I know what the "public domain" rules are, but I don't want to do anything that would create bad feeling or set up for trouble between the sites. I do, of course, have Wikipedia linked back from a couple of places. ;)

Thanks for any constructive input,
-- April