[Wikipedia-l] 1911 encyclopedia

João Mário Miranda jmiranda at explicacoes.com
Mon Mar 18 04:45:00 UTC 2002

Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Ian wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX wrote:
> > > That's not possible from the point of view of the copyright law as
> > > scanning is not a creative expression and the copyright of the original
> > > material has expired. The only thing which is possible is to claim
> > > copyright on additional markup, layout, presentation and additional
> > > graphics.
> > >
> > > HJH
> >
> > Then how come in Project Gutenberg, as I understand it, you have to use an
> > actual old copy of the book? If you want to digitize Mark Twain, you can't
> > pick up a copy at Wal-Mart, you have to go to the used book store.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm mistaken.
> >
> > Ian Monroe
> > http://mlug.missouri.edu/~eean/
> >

> Because it is possible that the Wal-Mart copy is edited, this means has
> modernized spelling and perhaps additional footsnotes or remarks. The
> editing process makes it a new work of which again somebody holds the
> copyright.
>
> So to be sure you are on the safe side you better use the 70 year old
> edition.
> If you are sure that the Wal-Mart edition is character by character
> identical to the 70 year old version you could use it.

The problem, I think, is that publishers make all kinds of
unsuported claims. For example, from the Bibliomania.com FAQ:

----
What is the copyright status of texts on Bibliomania.com?

Most texts on our site are in the public domain. However
Bibliomania.com Ltd has copyright in the HTML versions we have
created for our web site. You are free to download these texts
for personal use, but they may not be used for any commercial
purpose, or republished in any form (including on the internet)
without our prior email permission. Bibliomania.com Ltd has and
will take legal action worldwide to protect its rights.
----

--
joão
http://www.nonio.com