[Wikipedia-l] 1911 encyclopedia

João Mário Miranda jmiranda at explicacoes.com
Thu Mar 14 18:04:52 UTC 2002

They have legal notice at the site:

Legal Notice:

The information on this site is protected against unauthorized use
by others by  a variety of laws and statutes. For more information
on what you can and cannot do with the information on this site,
please contact

editor at 1911encyclopedia.com

Thanks

and they are using the name with permition:

Special thanks goes out to the people at Encyclopaedia Britannica
who have graciously granted permission to us to use this material
and their name on this site. Without their kind assistance, this
site could not be.

We urge anyone interested in a modern, up-to-date encyclopedia to
visit their site at http://www.eb.com.

Joao
http://www.nonio.com

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> It is my understanding, from the edition of the 'A' volume of this
> encyclopedia published by the fine folks over at Project Gutenburg,
> that it is "uncool" to use the name "Britannica" in association with
> this book.  The reason is that although the _copyright_ has indeed
> properly expired, the _trademark_ is still that of an active company.
> So, while the text is fair game, the name is not.
>
> I'm cc:'ing this message to editor at 1911encyclopedia.org, just so that
> person will know about this.  But my opinion is not very
> authoritative.  I'd just suggest getting the word 'Britannica' off the
> site _in the logo_, while feeling free to use the word in a text
> explanation of where this information comes from.  (My understanding
> is that it's o.k. to say a trademark in just about any context, but
> not o.k. to use it in a fashion that might mislead people into
> thinking that you are the organization in question.)
>
> The site, as it stands, doesn't really make clear that the people
> behind it are not the official Britannica people.
>
> What a wonderful thing to have online.
>
> --Jimbo
>
> [Wikipedia-l]
> To manage your subscription to this list, please go here:

joão
http://www.nonio.com
http://www.explicacoes.com