[Wikipedia-l] 1911 britannica online

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Thu Mar 14 18:04:46 UTC 2002

>> Whilst this is very good news, on my limited sampling
>> it's not something I'd be sucking into the Wikipedia
>> using a conversion script.
>
>What was the process for adding the A's?
>Were the A's all complete, without typos?

The "A" articles were compiled and edited by hand by
the folks at Project Gutenberg.  Many of them were then
added to Wikipedia more or less automatically, after
which many of them were further hand-edited where
appropriate (for example, I updated "Almond" to reflect
more recent biological classification).

The same process will be needed for these, so that
should keep me and others busy for a long time.  I'm
also curious whether they plan to scan the illustrations.
Those, too, are now in the public domain, and some of
the articles make little sense without them (look at
"Abbey", for example).