[Wikipedia-l] hosting, etc

Julie Kemp juleskemp at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 4 21:59:44 UTC 2002

> Message: 1
> From: kband at www.llamacom.com
> Subject: Re: [Wikipedia-l] Everything in the last
> digest
> To: wikipedia-l at nupedia.com
> Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:54:40 -0600 (CST)
>
> > Why would we want to distribute hosting?  And for
> that matter, what's
> > wrong with advertising, provided it's done as
> subtly as possible, and
> > not from various merchants of death ;-) (which I
> still think is for
> > Bomis to decide -- I may feel very proprietary
> about a lot of stuff
> > here, but I  still remember I'm on somebody else's
> playground.  Jimbo et
> > al. have  been very cool about trying to  get
> input, but business
> > decisions should belong to them)
>
> It's a matter of scaling. Hosting is currently the
> only bottleneck
> in the wikipedia process, other than possible
> problems in organization
> of material. If the popularity of Wikipedia doubles,
> the hosting needs
> to double--with distributed hosting, that would
> happen automatically.
>
> -tc
>
> --__--__--

I understand that, Cunc, but wouldn't Bomis having
larger, perhaps more redundant (and mirrored) servers
work as well?  I've  never dealt with wiki technology,
but my last tech job was with a firm that did online
transaction management.  We had three active servers
up at all times (web, SQL, and mail), and were always
running checks so that we could add more servers as
soon as it was necessary.  It's very expensive, but
isn't that where the advertising comes in?  I know
remote networking is viable, but is it practical?  It
just doesn't seem to be a sensible solution long-term.
 Can you imagine having to deal with migrations, etc.,
every time someone decides to back out?  Ugh.

---JHK