[Wikipedia-l] Possible compromise for disambiguation

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 29 21:37:04 UTC 2002

On Saturday 29 June 2002 12:01 pm, you wrote:
> Changing all links to always bypass the disambiguation page is nice and
> convenient, but it's not absolutely necessary. If it were, then why have
> the disambiguation page at all?

The reason is to catch any future honest mistakes for true disambiguation
issues. Such as this conundrum: "Where might the article on [[Mars]] be in
the in context of a hyperlinked encyclopedia? Now "planet" is not a part of
its name in any context, so it would be silly to find it at [[planet Mars]].
Hum, how about I just type in [[Mars]], hit preview and see where it takes
me."

The bingo! They find out that an article about the planet lives at [[Mars
(planet)]].

This is different when alternate two word terms are actually a part of a
title that <naturally> disambiguates a term. Such as <computer worm> -- here
the addition of the word "computer" is totally valid and widely used. We can
reasonably expect a person to think: "Hum, I'm witting here in an on-line,
cross-linked encyclopedia. Where might an article about computer worms be....
How about [[computer worm]]. Yep there it is." Besides, there is a link to
[[computer worm]] at [[worm]].

If you like, we can move this to the top in a short row stating: Other uses:
[[computer worm]].  Then the obvious disambiguation you want is there and an
actual article is at [[worm]] that is about creepy, crawly, slimy worms and
we don't have to place that article at [[worm (biology)]] which can only be
linked to through pipes.

In fact, it might be a good idea to have a very short row list like this in
other places in order to prevent the subvertion of a the common use of a
single word term for non-article disambiguation pages just because other
terms also share the same single word within narrow contexts (but are also
widely known by two or more word equivalent). I would suggest having this at
a -1 font and be limited to a row with maybe a line separating it from the
actual article. This shouldn't be any more obtrusive than having language
links for articles AND also acts as a disambiguation page without turning it
into a non-article list.

I could be very happy with this.

---maveric149