[Wikipedia-l] Disambiguation pages

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 29 08:21:43 UTC 2002

I am becoming increasingly concerned over seeing seeing greater and greater
numbers of non-article disambiguation pages. The concept of having
disambiguation pages was started for perfectly valid reasons -- for roughly
well-known cities that have the same name, monarchs with the same names, or
for other things where precedence over which term should be at a
non-disambiguated title cannot be determined (such as Mercury).

Wikipedia is an encyclopedia but it is also a wiki - so we must name articles
to (hopefully naturally) differentiate terms that would otherwise have the
same name AND encourage spontaneous linking. Full disambiguation should ONLY
be used as a last resort (such as with Mercury - planet Mercury doesn't cut
it in the same way as [[biological virus]] because "planet" is not part of
the planet's name - but makes for a useful redirect). If we don't encourage
spontaneous linking wherever possible, the project will eventually be lost
because contributors will increasingly find it tedious to use pipes all the
time when linking to articles. Alleviating unnecessary tedium is why I killed
the subpages in the Star Wars and Star Trek articles - contributions to those
articles have since significantly increased now that pipes don't have to be
used to link every term.

All I am saying, is that full disambiguation which turns a page named
[[example]] into a non-article list with a disambiguation notice and links to
[[example (discipline 1)]], [[example (discipline 2)]], [[example (discipline
3)]] should only be used as a last resort when valid non-parenthetical
alternatives are not used at all and there is a <reasonable> ambiguity issue.

--maveric149