[Wikipedia-l] Re: Years in review and the need for editorial judgement

Axel Boldt axel at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Jun 28 17:07:57 UTC 2002

I agree with the point that the Year in Review articles are "space
limited" in a sense, but I don't see what's wrong with Toby's
solution: let the articles grow until they get too big, then unload
the less important stuff to something like [[Books published in
1962]], of course linked to from [[1962]]. The most important books
could still stay on [[1962]].

We could now try to come up with some hard and fast rule as to
when a list in a year's article is too long and deserves its own page,
but we could also just leave that up to judgement calls, like anything
else really.

Robert mentions another problem: some fans will add entries to years'
pages, thus skewing their "importance". That's true, but it is a
problem throughout Wikipedia. Many topics are covered from a certain
angle, probably because that's the angle the original author liked
and/or understood best. The hope is that other authors will show up
over time and add other angles. We should expect the same to happen on
the years' pages.

Axel