[Wikipedia-l] 1911 text

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 05:28:30 UTC 2002

On Thursday 27 June 2002 12:01 pm, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> Of these risings the first ([December 1848]?â€"[July 1849]?) took place in
> Mázandarán?, at the ruined shrine of [Shaykh TabarsI]?, near Bflrfur6sh?,
> where the BábIs, led by Mullâ Muhammad â€~All of Bârfurfish and Mullfi
> Husayn of Bushrawayh (“ the first who believed “), defied the shah’s
> troops for seven months before they were finally subdued and put to death.
>
> I think that there should be a warning against inserting text with
> illegible scanos in it. Where do they come from? Does anyone have a
> hardcopy of the 1911 encyclopedia so that he can fix them?

I do hate it when people just dump, unwikified, unchecked, incorrectly named
and OCR error ridden 1911 text into wikipedia expecting others to tidy things
after them. It is oftentimes far more difficult to update all this AND
modernize pedandic Victorian, often wrong and ultra-biased prose than it is
to do some research on the topic and create an article from scratch. Dumping
of unimproved 1911 text should be highly discouraged.

--maveric