[Wikipedia-l] Re: Upload page

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 22 03:16:20 UTC 2002

On Friday 21 June 2002 09:02 am, Pierre wrote:
> Could someone put on the upload page a note that this is not a file-sharing
> system or a file storage area? I think people look for "upload files", find
> our upload page, and upload things without realizing that this is an
> encyclopedia.

Here is an excellent candidate to <i>not</i> allow Google to index.

BTW, now that we have Jimbo back, can we revisit the idea to limit use of the
upload utility? There must be several dozen user accounts that were created
for the sole purpose of using our upload utility to store files. I like
Koyaanis Qatsi's idea:

On Sunday 16 June 2002 12:01 pm, Koyaanis Qatsi wrote:
> Speaking of which, the old software used to have a function where you
> could hover over a username and the IP address would show up (.xxx at
> the end for most, but I imagine sysops would see the full thing).
> That's bring that back, mmmmkay?

That way if a logged-in user where consistently uploading illegal stuff then
that person's IP could be blocked. BTW, I recently had a nightmare about a
group of vandals creating accounts to perform a systemic assault on
wikipedia. And of course, since it is not possible for mere sysops to block
logged-in users I was pretty much helpless -- protecting pages isn't
practical because it is not possible to predict which pages will be hit. I'm
glad that was just a dream (yeah I know - I should get out more often :-).

I will repost my previous (slightly edited) email about another idea to
combat upload abuse for further comment in a different post.

maveric149