[Wikipedia-l] Re: WikiProject

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 20 00:49:38 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 12:01 pm, tarquin wrote:
> hello all.
> I'd like to volunteer for the moving of WikiProject & associated pages
> over to Wikipedia: namespace.
> before I do, though, could I ask for thoughts on a different name?
> I suggest something like "presentation schemes", to stand alongside
> "naming conventions"

How about simply [[wikipedia:projects]] (or the singular) for the main uber
article and then [[wikipedia:project {name}]] for the specific project? Any
ideas for showing hierarchies? Although this type of question really isn't a
policy one so we should continue this discussion at [[talk:WikiProject]].

> alternatively, should "naming conventions" be absorbed into
> WikiProjects? the original proposal is about naming schemes as well as
> consistent content presentation.

No I don't think this would be desirable. [[Wikipedia:naming conventions]] is
(more or less at least) a policy article and the WikiProject idea has never
been much more than a way for wikipedians to collaborate on a certain set of
related articles (which hasn't been used much BTW). Only part of what is
determined in a WikiProject is what to name articles -- but those names also
should conform to standard(ish) naming conventions.

In other words the WikiProject is really more informal and only enforceable
through bold editing and peer pressure while naming conventions are more or
less part of policy and are enforced in this light.  Of course in a wiki the
line between the two types of enforcement is blurred -- but a distinction
should still be made.

I would like to hear what Manning has to say on this - he is the one who
originally developed the idea (correct me if I am wrong Manning).

maveric149