[Wikipedia-l] Proposed addition to wikipedia: Naming conventions

Pierre Abbat phma at webjockey.net
Tue Jun 18 22:01:42 UTC 2002

I'd like to add the following to the page:

=== Avoid diacritics ===
If a name has diacritics, for instance [[Jose Ramos-Horta|José
Ramos-Horta]], avoid the diacritics when naming an article. If a link has a
diacritic, what page it links to depends on the character set the browser is
set to. A UTF-8 browser goes to what looks to a Latin-1 browser as
"Jos&itrema;&iques;&1/2; Ramos-Horta", whereas a Latin-1 browser goes to an
article whose title has an invalid UTF-8 character.

Is that really UTF-8? I thought that é was only two bytes in UTF-8. Those
entity codes I made up on the spot, but there really is such an article (go
to Jose Ramos-Horta and hit "pages that link here").

phma