[Wikipedia-l] Invariant Sections

d.n.mckee d.n.mckee at durham.ac.uk
Sun Jun 16 10:09:42 UTC 2002

Maveric149 sez:

If we do go (or already are) "invariant free" this may have the
side-effect
of reducing the amount of external text's we can obtain (esp. from many
governments and most US states). Many times all the author/owner of
external
text requires is recognition for their work -- which isn't possible to
ensure
without an invariant section. But then, Axel is right in stating that
there
are larger issues at stake than making our job of creating new articles
easier.

But we are recognising their work. They often don't require that people
copying from us (or, even editing our work) need to recognise their
work. Is there a problem here?

The edit problem could be remedied by having invariant sections per
article: but this is likely to be abused. Someone will put in an
invariant section with a porn ad.

Dragon.