[Wikipedia-l] Junk uploads, bogus user accounts and "trusted hand" status

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 15 22:48:28 UTC 2002

I'm sure many of you have noticed that recently there has been a growing
problem of people creating user accounts for the sole purpose of using
wikipedia's upload utility to place copyrighted and otherwise inappropriate
material on the server.

We might want to discuss further limiting just who can use this utility
because this is beginning to be a maintenance issue for the syops and the
presence of these bogus user accounts is also over-reporting the number of
true (as in contributing) users we have .

I know the "trusted hand" status is in the database already so it might be
easy to limit this ability to "trusted hand" or greater status users. It
would also be nice to have this status granted automatically if say two
conditions are met: 1) a user account is at least one month old and 2) this
user has edited a certain number of articles (I would be liberal and set this
at 30, but I wouldn't mind having it set at up to 100).

And while we are at it we might also want to grant trusted hands the ability
to do things that currently only sysops can do -- like edit certain protected
pages (those set to "is_trusted" perhaps? "is_sysop" would then only be used
to protect established policy pages and for emergencies -- if a "trusted
hand" went on a rampage it would be simple to just change the user's status).
I wonder if a script could be written to change the status of all current
users that have edited a certain number of articles? The sysops could always
do this by hand if need be.

Oh, and if something like this were established we should encourage sysops to
manually promote outstanding new users to "trusted hand" status early (there
are several outstanding examples of new users already: they started off
running and "got it" very early).

Just a thought....

maveric149