[Wikipedia-l] file uploads

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Mon Jun 10 09:08:25 UTC 2002

> I'd be in favor of eliminating all GIFs from the site.  Although I'm
> personally comfortable with GIFs, I think we have a large userbase
> >from the free software community who aren't.  And software patents
are
> evil.

You're right, but there are many people who don't know about these
things. If they can't upload a GIF they created they might not upload it
at all, or they might save the picture as JPEG what is very suboptimal
in most cases.
So there should at least be a statement why we don't accept GIFs, and
that they should use PNG instead. It would be even better if people are
still allowed to upload GIFs after a message that we'd like PNGs much
more. The GIFs could be listed on a page and someone with a batch
converter could change them once in a while.
And while we are trying to treat images like articles, maybe the GIF
could REDIRECT to the PNG?

Kurt