[Wikipedia-l] French logo

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Jun 7 16:18:11 UTC 2002

A new logo, differing substantially from the community-established
standards, has been installed on the French wikipedia.  The person who
created the logo felt that Jason's asking the community was
inappropriate, and threatened to lead a fork of the project so that
the French wikipedia would be under the complete control of
Francophones.

His remarks included such phrases as "my frensh friends are angry" and
"you want the war?"

Well, no, I don't want the war.

So, the new logo is installed for now.  If a consensus develops among
the speakers of French that it would be better to pursue a more
harmonious logo with the world community, that'll be fine.  I really
don't care about the logo one way or the other.

Again, I am deeply saddened when I find the globally neutral spirit of
our pursuit of knowledge without regard to barriers of any kind
becomes entangled in what can only be called nationalism.  But, I do
not wish to fight.  I only wish that the project move forward.  It is
the articles that matter, not us.

--Jimbo