[Wikipedia-l] continued growth rate and quality

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Thu Jun 6 12:11:58 UTC 2002

Hi Lars!

> Wikipedia now has more than 50,000 pages (28,000 articles)

Cool, 22,000 user pages! ;-)

> But is there any way to judge/measure/monitor the quality of the
> contribution as volume grows?

The more page views an article got in the last x months, and the less it
has been edited in the same time, the better is the article?

> Are new articles still written on new
> topics of general interest,

The number of page views without edits a few days after the article was
created could be a measure for the general interest. Perhaps only the
visitors coming from search engines should be counted here, because
older articles might have more links to them inside the WP. But this
wouldn't be unfair if we assume that we have no blind spots (what I
don't).

> or do more and more cover obscure topics?

=> few links to it, few page views, maybe few different people that
contributed to it

> Is there any way to tell from statistics?

> I guess the number of different authors that a new article attracts in
> its first three months could be an interesting statistical measure.

Yes!

A differnt thing, but I'd also like to know which sites the visitors of
the German WP come from. I've seen such a page on the English WP
somewhere and found it quite interesting.

Kurt