[Wikipedia-l] Caste system? I don't like it -- but again, why is this an issue??

Julie Kemp juleskemp at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 3 21:51:11 UTC 2002

So I'm looking at this latest thread, and
wondering...why is this an issue?  I seem to remember
that "is sysop" used to appear on the wikipedians
page.  Seeing that I had sysop rights made me ask what
they were and guidelines for use, which forced me to
ask via this list.  Not a bad thing, and a path that I
think other truly interested new wikipedians might
also follow -- can this be bad?  There is enough
information out there that shows that most wikipedians
don't want a cabal.  IF this is an issue, than I would
frankly rather see us all lose our sysop rights.

On that subject, I have yet to use mine (except to
delete misspelled pages, and even then, I try to
follow Brion's advice).  Despite the fact that I have
very strong feelings on what I consider legitimate
use, etc., and often would love to block IPs, I have
avoided the temptation because I think it's too easy a
privilege to abuse.  I'm not sure that everyone else
with those privileges is as able to make the
differentiation.  Would it be possible to have a
system where it took two sysops to block a
contributor? This might help to provoide some of the
checks and balances that I think the site will need
more and more as it grows...

Jules