[Wikipedia-l] Why are we deleting "articles"? (semantics and consistency issue)

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Mon Jul 29 07:22:28 UTC 2002

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Daniel Mayer wrote:
>> It is already difficult enough to explain the difference between
>>certain types of wikipedia-specific pages, mere definition pages, vandalized
>>pages and an actual encyclopedia articles without added confusion.
>

> Wikipedia is the application of wiki to the goal of building an
> encyclopedia.  The question is which terminology to use:
>
> 	Wiki term		Encyclopedia term
>
> 	page			entry (German: Stichwort)
> 	article			article
> 	redirect		reference (?) (German: Hinweis)
>
> The difference is that a non-article "entry" in a printed encyclopedia
> is a single line (East Germany, see German Democratic Republic) while
> the word "page" sounds like it contains a lot of text.

"Page" is standard _web_ terminology for a single 2-dimensional
continuous expanse of space that contains text and/or images, of any size.

"Entry" is I think not general enough, because we use the same tools to
access and edit both encyclopedic material ("entries") and support
materials: commentary about articles, the introduction to the
encyclopedia and how to use it, and personal bios of the contributors
and editors. I would hesitate to call these "[encyclopedia] entries",
but I would not hesitate to call them "[web] pages".

Just my two cents.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)