[Wikipedia-l] Re: Parsing

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Sat Jul 27 20:34:53 UTC 2002

The Cunctator wrote:

>On 7/27/02 11:24 AM, "tarquin" <tarquin at planetunreal.com> wrote:
>

>>I would hesitate before deprecating <b> and <i> in wiki markup, but I
>>change those to the equivalent ' whenever I see them, and I don't think
>>they should be encouraged.
>>

>That's what deprecating means.
>
>I think it's good practice to discourage HTML, but not ban it. TMTOWTDI.
>
>[Wikipedia-l]
>To manage your subscription to this list, please go here:

Ah. I stand corrected. From my experiences with HTML I had assume that
in hacker lingo "deprecated" was used to mean the opposite of "beta"
("doesn't work yet" ;) ie "doesn't work any more".

they've stuck pretty quickly. However, if '' and ''' are cryptic to you,
don't use them. Stick to plain text, and the only thing you need to
remember is "\n\n" makes a paragraph break. A well-written article has
formatting as a mere embellishment: it is clear without it.