[Wikipedia-l] Trouble editing

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 19 02:21:28 UTC 2002

On Thursday 18 July 2002 04:31 pm, you wrote:
> Is there some reason that I can't access and edit the naming conventions
> page?  There's some outdated stuff there, and I would like to change
> it...  Thanks!
>  Jules

--maveric149

Strange, I had the exact same problem while trying to edit the main page from
work (during a break of course ;P ). To get around the problem I first had to
unprotect the page and then edit it (which was a bit terrifying since I
didn't know if wikipedia would freeze again and result in an unprotected
front page when it came back online). Seems that as soon as I hit edit the
wikiware no longer saw that I was logged in as a sysop and flashed a
'protected page' message. This logging out behavior also occurs sometimes
when I access article history pages -- which is a pain when I need to block a
vandal.

The 'can't edit page' problem only occurs for me while using Internet
Explorer (I've only tried it with version 6). The same thing happened for me
at work (Windows 2000) and home (Windows XP). I have /not/ had this problem
with Konqueror or any other Linux browser (thankfully since that is where I
spend most of my wikipedia time). Also, both at home and work I am behind a
firewall. I'll try editing a protected page on Friday with Navigator at work
to see if the same problem occurs. Might have something to do with the way IE
handles cookies combined with some change to the software that has recently
been made.

--maveric149